I self-identify as a human being, American, politically Conservative, Christian, heterosexual male who respects your right to do whatever you damn well please so long as your desire to do whatever you damn well please does not infringe or impede my right to do whatever I damn well please or the rights of others to do whatever they damn well please!
Personal freedom for myself and everyone else and all that phrase implies dictates my thoughts, politics, writings, worldview, and faith.
While most of the Founders were men of religious faith, many were not. However, they all recognized that the rights of personal freedom were part of "Natural Law" and are independent of a personal belief in God. Thomas Jefferson was very careful to state in the Declaration that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
Jefferson's use of the word "Creator" was intentional. It leaves open the interpretation as "God" for those who believe in God and Nature for those that do not.
Liberty and freedom means doing whatever you damn well please so long as it does not infringe on someone else. Otherwise, some other person is making your decisions and that is anathema to liberty and freedom.
You do not get to decide what I ought to do.
https://tinyurl.com/y6j3t55u



This is absolutely brilliant the way you word this in such an easily digestable way. (Except I had to look up the word "anathema"!)
ReplyDeleteThis is DeAnn
DeleteDeAnn here:
ReplyDeleteOne thing I got to thinking about is the part you wrote about decisions being made for you.... I'm afraid that it may be APPEALING to some of these very young people - who live on their phones, and therefor did not develop the needed social skills that make having choices fun and exciting. Instead, we have a majority (or close, at least) of youth who don't want to ask for ketchup at McDonal's or take a phone call due to social anxiety and all the underdeveloped social skills. So my fear is that pre-made decisions and a lack of needing to interact and/or make a decision is actually APPEALING to them. I'm not sure, of course. Just an observatiin about behavior patterns and a hypithesis about where it could lead.